Management Plan 2007
Newton Moore S.H.S Wetlands
Continue to rehabilitate and research the Wetlands strip on the Newton Moore Senior High School site.
- Continue and improve our captive breeding program of the Western Pygmy Perch.
- Apply to Bunbury City for Habitat Grant.
- Develop a captive breeding program of the Western Minnow and restock school wetlands at Koopoolang Pond.
- Monitor water quality in wetlands by doing seasonal checks on water and pond life. Include monthly testing of pH, phosphate, nitrate and oxygen levels, temperature, turbidity, conductivity, ammonia and macro invertebrates.
- Plant more native sedges around pond areas. Plant wetland trees around the wetland perimeter.
- Increase the height of the wetlands fence using Wetland Modules sales profit.*
- Plant native creepers in the vicinity of the fences along-with an understorey to deter people jumping into the wetlands.
- Relocate covered pergola from environmental centre to Koopoolang pond to improve student work area in the wetlands.
- Maintain the buffer zone of the wetlands and reduce weed encroachment from wetlands fence to the logs barrier (especially around Koopoolang Pond and the northern end of the wetlands) using wads of newspaper and mulch.
- Apply to CALM for license Regulation 17 for 2007 to trap and continue to record data on frog and reptile species in the wetlands.
- Continue to collect seeds to province plant.
- Apply to Leschenault Community Nursery for seedlings and have students do volunteer work at the Leschenault Community Nursery.
- Continue with weed and litter control. Provide general maintenance to paths, fences, seats.
- Identify and keep records of any birds, mammals, reptiles observed in the area.
- Install a settling tank to purify bore water flow into Koopoolang pond.
- Regularly report progress to the school and community through local newspaper.
- Continually update our Wetland Research Centre in the classroom, including our web pages, field guides and herbarium.
- Use trends in 2007 data to help reassess status of the wetlands and modify our action plan for 2008.
* new initiatives for 2007